Tuesday, December 14, 2010

i heart my hawkeyes:)

So if you were in Iowa City yesterday, you probably couldn't help but overhear some grumblings about the state of the Iowa Football team. What started with the arrest of DJK soon turned into a tornado of rumors speculating drug use by practically every member of our team. I'm not even kidding... I heard SO MANY NAMES and with each one, I thought "no way!" But sadly, I saw the writing on the wall and was prepared for the worst. We were told late yesterday that Jewell Hampton was transferring and Adam Robinson, although medically cleared to play in the bowl game, would not be traveling with the team down to Arizona. I think every Hawk was dreading the press conference that was to happen today at 10am. So I do what every loyal Hawkeye did... I streamed the conference on KCRG.com to make sure I heard it straight from Ferentz's mouth. And what did I hear? One big lesson on Iowa's drug testing policy. No mention of additional players involved. No reference to a drug problem within the team. The only casualties were DJK, Hampton and Robinson.


HUH?!


Did I hear that right? After a giant sigh of relief, I began to question what was really going on. I've always thought that where there's smoke, there's fire and I can't help but think this logic applies here as well. I don't think DJK is the only kid on the team with a dirty nose. In fact, based on what I've been told by people associated with the football team, I know he isn't. But it appears that these kids have found a way around the drug testing procedures at the University. I just REALLY hope, for Kirk and Gary's sake, that this doesn't come back to bite them in the butt. They put their necks out there to save the Iowa Football team and if we later learn that players have not passed drug tests, I fear the consequences and backlash.


But because I absolutely positively love Kirk, I choose to believe him. What is it we all say... In Kirk We Trust? He's got this. I hope.


She's mommy's little Hawkeye:)